Struck by inspiration over the holidays, I sewed a summer sundress! I bought the fabric at a yard sale a few years ago for less than $5. It has that lovely handfeel of an aged poly-cotton blend that I love so much. They don’t make ’em like they used to! The odd thing about this panel print is that the gradient goes weft to weft instead of most other panel prints I’ve seen that follow the grainline. So, I did the unthinkable and cut the skirt pieces the wrong way. I did cut the bodice pieces on the grainline though, and I don’t think its noticeable at all. This change had the added benefit of making the hem very easy to sew because the selvedge edge eliminated the need to double-turn!
I went into my stash for buttons, and found some grey ones that look pretty perfect. I didn’t buy anything new to make this dress. Sewing from the stash feels good! This was my first time sewing my own buttons since I got my machine fixed, it was nice to be back in action on that front. Aside from the cutting layout changes, I staystitched the neckline pieces instead of using vilene shields, a usual change I make when sewing Tessuti patterns. I love the self bias tape specified in the pattern, it really helps a lightweight fabric look professional.
I have worn this once in the cold, paired with a turtleneck and a sweater, but I think it will become a staple in the spring. Happy 2020!!