Honeymoon PJs. Made with some French cotton voile from Marché Saint-Pierre, and some blue silk trim. Working with silk bias tape was incredibly fiddly, and I had a really hard time keeping things tidy. To make it, I did use this tutorial which I found very easy compared to tutorials I have followed in the past. I also finally figured out how to use my bias tape maker, so that was also a big help. I french seamed everything but the crotch seam (I just zig-zagged to finish instead), and I only had 3/4″ elastic, so thats what I used for the waistband. I tacked it down via stitch-in-the-ditchat both side seams (instead of sewing in the middle of the waistband all the way around).
I compared these, my second version of the Lakeside PJs, to the first that I made ~2 years ago, and its neat to see how my sewing skills have improved dramatically since then. The first time around, I vastly underestimated the amount of ease in the pattern, so this time I made a 6 in the top, and an 8 in the bottoms. The bottoms are still a tiny bit tight (!!) but they will work.
SUPER EXCITED FOR NEW ZEALAND NEXT WEEK!!!!!!
wintry days call for warm weather sewing.
archer-a-day. loving this popover variation!!
photos of the new stylish dress book dress… taken by Anna Salamon (thanks, Anna!).
i haven’t been posting but I’ve still been making…
I made Stylish Dress Book dress “E” this week, and I am loving it. The size guide advised me to cut the 10 (or even the 12) but I cut the 8, and added 1/2″ seam allowances. I added 2″ to the skirt length after reading how others made this dress, and I didn’t want to end up scheming ways to lengthen later, as I had on a previous Stylish Dress Book dress (WOW that was awhile ago!).
I used a Pickering hemp/wool blend from Spool, and its very toasty. Its the beginning of November and the forecast says 75, so I didn’t wear it to work today. The touches of Liberty are from a remnant I bought in Portland this spring. I had thought it was too dark and muddy to use a lot of, but instead I lined the patch pockets, made the facing, and finished the sleeve hems with it, and I think it looks lovely, and not muddy or dark at all!
I contemplated lining the bodice and/or cutting the back from the Liberty, but ended up not doing it. If I make this again (which I would like to!), and made it sleeveless, I would line the bodice to hide all those pinktucks and back skirt gathering. I french seamed throughout (even the sleeves!) and although the pattern didn’t call for it, I had a MUCH easier time fitting the sleeves when I did some gathering on the shoulder caps (duh?). I hand-sewed a 2″ hem and I am glad I didn’t machine it, it only took about 45 minutes.
My only fit issues so far is the shoulders are sort of tight, making it a little difficult to take off. I love the drapiness of the Pickering hemp/wool, though, and I think it will be a great wintery dress.
Progress on the latest Archer. I scoured the internet for a tutorial on a popover placket, and stumbled upon this very informative blog. Very easy and looks great! I tried to match the plaids as best I could (not very well), and cut the back outside yoke on the bias.
This beautiful voile is from Texstyles in Austin.
the new issue of Seamwork Magazine is out. Dug around my stash to find this lovely, drapey silk to make Akita. Quick sew!