January things.

I caved and started another sweater. I couldn’t resist– I found the perfect pattern that fit my criteria: top-down, in the round, and larger-than-worsted weight. Finding the yarn was a bit of a fiasco, but I found the most luscious solution: Dream in Color’s Calm. It is actually a worsted weight, so I am sizing up in the pattern. I’ve already completed the oversized collar and on to the raglan increases. This yarn is truly calming to work with, I am loving it!

the neck!

In other news, I made my first knit shirt! It’s Deer and Doe’s Plantain (FREE!!). It was surprisingly not that difficult, really fast to make, and I used my regular machine!!! I made a few errors with this first shirt, but it was a learning experience, and the fabric was $2/yard. I am planning on making another one tomorrow that’s longer, and without the elbow patches. If this one goes well I may look into buying a serger (Eeep!), because all summer I basically live in my alternative apparel slinky knit dress. If I could make ones similar… that would be awesome!

#crappy selfie

Currently baking/enjoying: almond biscotti– its breathing life into my morning coffee!

i cant live without making lists!

round up + what’s next.

i’ve made 3 tank tops from 3 different patterns so far:

1:  (top left) Wiksten tank. Pattern cost = $8.50. I made this first, and it is the most simple. No darts (probably won’t make again because of it). I like the pocket.

2: (top right) Deer and Doe Datura blouse. Pattern cost = ~$20. The construction of this top is very professional and its fun to make. It includes variations for two types of collars. Will make again.

3: (bottom) Collette Patterns Sorbetto tank. Pattern cost = pattern is FREE. Has darts and a front pleat. Took me about 3 hours to make. I did an inverse box pleat and hid the bias tape. Will make again.

(I think its about time to move on to a new type of garment, and i think i am banning myself from any more florals…)

Next I am planning a sleeveless Hawthorn with some beautiful greenish bluish linen, and also I NEED TO FINISH my Folded sweater.

In other news, I’ve got some sticky bun dough rising in the kitchen…. mmmmmmm!

currently listening: sound of silver, lcd soundsystem (what else on the longest day of the year??)

A Datura!

i finished my Datura blouse!

it was a little rough to work through the directions, especially for the yoke; but after reading and re-reading (and re-reading), i did it! i found surprisingly few examples / tutorials / sew-a-longs about this pattern, so i felt pretty trailblazer-y while i was making it. i had to completely redo and remake the bias tape for the neck because i had sewing machine issues, but after i BOUGHT A NEW SEWING MACHINE, i whipped it out really quickly. it is shocking how bad the old machine was– it skipped stitches like crazy and the tension was so bad no matter what setting i had it on.

this project employed a LOT of new-to-me techniques.

bias tape / hand-sewn blind hem:

buttonholes (omg the machine is AMAZING for this):

 fully lined yoke:

here are some shots that Jacob took: